Are there Georgia safety standards or regulations for public playgrounds?
Read the complete story here: Playground Safety in Georgia, what do you need to know? While the national safety standards for playground equipment as established by ASTM and CPSC are still considered as “voluntary standards”, each state may have its own criteria. The Childinjurylawyerblog has […]
FAQ’s for Accessible Playgrounds–Are They Enforceable?
As law, no they haven’t been enforced–yet. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a civil rights law, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability. In 2000, the Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board issued a final rule in the form of accessibility guidelines to serve as the […]
14 Layout Considerations for your Playground
1. Organize zones to facilitate play and minimize conflicts, e.g. locate quiet play areas away from active spaces
2. Provide areas that encourage group interaction as well as places from solitary and partner play
3. Avoid putting high-activity zones close to transitional zones
4. Locate compatible play zones close together, e.g. creative play […]
The Dirty Dozen Checklist
Are they hiding in your child’s playground?
1. Improper Protective Surfacing
The surface or ground under and around the playground equipment should be soft enough to cushion a fall. Improper surfacing material under playground equipment is the leading cause of playground related injuries. Over seventy percent of all accidents on playgrounds are from children […]